In the late 1970s, in Quebec, Canada, a group of young people were looking to find meaning and purpose in their lives. They found that meaning and purpose after meeting a charismatic man named Roch Theriault. Roch was a devoted follower of the Seventh Day Adventist religion, and soon this group of young people decided to cut ties with all of their friends and family, and follow Rock into the wilderness of Quebec to form a new society and way of life from scratch. They soon came to believe that Roch spoke to God and everything he did was as a result of his conversations with God–even when it came to viciously punishing them, or eventually when Roch did things where members ended up dead.
THANK YOU to our episode sponsor, Surfshark. Protect your online privacy and Get a secure VPN at SurfShark.deals/crimes risk-free for 30 days, and enter the promo code “CRIMES” to get 83% off and an extra 3 months FREE!
Sources and Related Links to Podcast Episode:
- Abandoned Prayers: The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession, and Amish Secrets
- Roch Theriault’s Murderpedia Page
- THE ANT HILL KIDS: Break Your Legs With A Sledgehammer Or Go To Hell
- This Day in History: A cult leader kills one of his followers
- BEHIND THE CRIMES: Murder, mutilation, abuse part of life at Ant Hill Kids commune
- Roch Thériault: The Horrifying Savagery (& Home Surgery) Of Canada’s Most Violent Cult Leader